Skip to main content

Using Google Slides to Gamify Art

This is a video I made demonstrating how I use the Google Slides app to gasify my classroom. This is a sort of modified TAB (Teaching for Artistic Behaviors) setup. Most of the video demonstrates some of the things I have learned through trial and error as far as what makes for a good design, how to handle digital badges etc. One of the primary benefits of using this system, is students choose their challenges, and they are rewarded with digital badges as a recognition of their accomplishments. The whole system focuses on advancement and celebration of achievement fostering a more positive atmosphere in the classroom. Also, when students choose what they are doing, they are more engaged, and they are excited to share their work with peers. I prefer not to have stations for different media, but rather stations where students gather materials. Having all different media out on each table as students work makes for a bit more mess, but a lot more collaboration and students sparking each other's imaginations. Also, by putting the responsibility of gathering materials on the students, they become more responsible for the care of supplies and it makes for a system that will continue to function smoothly even when I am absent and a sub comes in. Aside from the fact that it is free, a huge benefit to Google Slides is that it allows for me to update and push things out to kids easily, and they build a portfolio of their work along the way because they have to document their work in order to show me evidence that they are ready to level up. One of my hesitations as I read about TAB over the years was that I didn't see how it would work in an elementary classroom. This system has worked very well in my classroom with my first through fifth grades. In my older classes particularly it has worked very well. My younger students love the choice and flexibility, but truthfully they weren't ready for the amount of options I gave them when I first rolled it out (I initially gave everyone about 40 options). My advice would be to start off with maybe about 10 different options at level 1 and require students to earn five different badges to level up. My "game" has 4 levels. Level 1 focuses on materials and students must earn 5 different badges using clay, paint, markers, printing etc. Level 2 focuses on categories of art such as portraits, landscapes, abstraction etc. Students choose the media, but must hit targets that are more about subject matter or styles. At level 3, students explore art careers, and as professionals, they have more flexibility choosing media and subject matter. Level 4 is my GOAT level. Any students who reach that level are given flexibility to set their own targets for their work, but then they present their work and engage more in higher level reflection, revision etc. If you are considering gamification or implementing more choice in your art classroom, I highly recommend taking the plunge and hopefully this video will help you see how to set up an effective system.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arts Madness Round 2

I am about half way through the second round of voting in my Arts Madness tournament. It has been a tremendous success so far. I am seeing students come in asking about who is still in it and who has been eliminated, I hear students talking about who they think will win and discussing why they pick one work over another. I was really surprised by some of the giants of art history who were eliminated in the first round. Picasso, Warhol, Rembrandt and Pollock were all knocked out. Students were delighted when I shared that Pollock was actually eliminated by his wife, Lee Krasner. I didn't think of this when I first started the tournament, but it has provided a hook to get students more interested when I can share tidbits and connections among artists. My entry routine for a few years has been for students to come in and there would be a 5 minute student-led discussion about a work of art on the board. From now until the end of the school year, students come in and scan a QR co

A Better Way to Make a Hand Turkey

In November it seems inevitable that hand turkeys start creeping into the classroom. When I was younger it would drive me nuts. I used to ban the hand turkey from my classroom because it seemed too lazy to me. Of course, like most things I loathed when I was young, I have matured and come to realize I was looking at it all wrong. Kids make hand turkeys not out of laziness, but because they want to be successful and their parents often enjoy the cute hand crafted keepsakes if you will forgive my pun. Instead if trying to stop kids from doing what they like, I realized my job is to meet them where they are then help them elevate their work. If they want to trace their hands, why not use that tracing as a basis for a paper sculpture or cut the hand from a slab of clay and make it a keepsake their parents can enjoy for years (while also teaching hand building techniques ever ceramic artist should know). I created this video years ago to show kids how they can make a hand turkey paper s

Post Impressionist Painting

I'm working with my second grade students to create Post-Impressionist landscape masterpieces. One thing that I find helpful is starting by looking at some work by artists like Monet, then working through some Post Impressionists like van Gogh and finally I like to end with Matisse. As we compare and contrast, by the time we get to Matisse, kids are noticing how Post-Impressionists tend to have wilder color that is less realistic than the Impressionists. Once, kids make this discovery by themselves, I like to pose the question of why artists would choose to paint with such wild colors. The natural response from a number of kids tends to be something like "to be creative" or "to make it pretty."While these answers have some truth to them, I then like to expand on kids knowledge base. One of the things I think is under appreciated about Impressionism and Post-Impressionism is the role of technology in influencing their work. The camera came about in the mid to l