Skip to main content

Using Google Slides to Gamify Art

This is a video I made demonstrating how I use the Google Slides app to gasify my classroom. This is a sort of modified TAB (Teaching for Artistic Behaviors) setup. Most of the video demonstrates some of the things I have learned through trial and error as far as what makes for a good design, how to handle digital badges etc. One of the primary benefits of using this system, is students choose their challenges, and they are rewarded with digital badges as a recognition of their accomplishments. The whole system focuses on advancement and celebration of achievement fostering a more positive atmosphere in the classroom. Also, when students choose what they are doing, they are more engaged, and they are excited to share their work with peers. I prefer not to have stations for different media, but rather stations where students gather materials. Having all different media out on each table as students work makes for a bit more mess, but a lot more collaboration and students sparking each other's imaginations. Also, by putting the responsibility of gathering materials on the students, they become more responsible for the care of supplies and it makes for a system that will continue to function smoothly even when I am absent and a sub comes in. Aside from the fact that it is free, a huge benefit to Google Slides is that it allows for me to update and push things out to kids easily, and they build a portfolio of their work along the way because they have to document their work in order to show me evidence that they are ready to level up. One of my hesitations as I read about TAB over the years was that I didn't see how it would work in an elementary classroom. This system has worked very well in my classroom with my first through fifth grades. In my older classes particularly it has worked very well. My younger students love the choice and flexibility, but truthfully they weren't ready for the amount of options I gave them when I first rolled it out (I initially gave everyone about 40 options). My advice would be to start off with maybe about 10 different options at level 1 and require students to earn five different badges to level up. My "game" has 4 levels. Level 1 focuses on materials and students must earn 5 different badges using clay, paint, markers, printing etc. Level 2 focuses on categories of art such as portraits, landscapes, abstraction etc. Students choose the media, but must hit targets that are more about subject matter or styles. At level 3, students explore art careers, and as professionals, they have more flexibility choosing media and subject matter. Level 4 is my GOAT level. Any students who reach that level are given flexibility to set their own targets for their work, but then they present their work and engage more in higher level reflection, revision etc. If you are considering gamification or implementing more choice in your art classroom, I highly recommend taking the plunge and hopefully this video will help you see how to set up an effective system.


Popular posts from this blog

My First Post!

Welcome to my elementary art blog. I will be posting various lesson plans and resources used for teaching k-5 Art. Check back regularly as I intend to update this weekly with videos and other resources that help in my classroom and they can help in yours too. One thing that has been transformative in my teaching is video demonstrations of key skills. I started making videos after coming to the realization that when I did a live demonstration of clay or origami, half the class could not actually see what I was doing. By recording video, I could project it larger so kids could see better, but I also found that it freed me up to focus on my students and my instruction better. I no longer had to worry about the creation of a sample project, I could simply focus on the explanation while also looking at my students to find signs of confusion, anticipate problems etc. If you have not flipped your art room, I highly recommend it. In addition to the relative ease of direct instruction, crea

FREE eLearning Resources

With so many of us shifting to eLearning, I thought I would share some resources I created. First, I am doing Arts Madness again this year. I crowdsourced it to create a field of 64 diverse artists. Each round participants fill out a Google form with the simple question of "Which is better?" in a series of head to head matchups until we get down to just one winner. You can check out the brackets and vote at my google site here. The second resource I am happy to share with everyone is my Google Slide doc that gives different challenges kids can try at home. The beauty of the slides format is kids simply make a copy of the original, rename it and share it with me. They get a document with different options for them to explore, links to supportive resources like demonstration videos and a digital badge board to track their progress. As kids complete projects, they upload a picture of their work onto the appropriate slide, so I have a digital portfolio making it easier for me to

Who ARTed Season 1 Episode 1 Georges Seurat

For the first episode of the Podcast, I talked to my favorite LC Director, Tony Kresl about Georges Seurat and his masterpiece, Sunday on la Grande Jatte. Every episode features three parts: In Situ - where we discuss the art history and the context in which the piece was created In Gallery - where we look more closely at the piece sharing what we see, what connections we make In Studio - where we share our takeaways and tips for making better art Click to listen to Who ARTed - Georeges Seurat