Skip to main content

Gamify Art History!

Gamifying my classroom has been absolutely amazing. Giving students different learning targets and resources then allowing them to pick the skills to target each day has made class more fun and engaging not only for the kids but for me too. I wanted to bring that spirit and enthusiasm to art history, so I decided this year, I will end the school year with an NCAA style tournament. I created brackets with 32 different artists. I just listed 32 artists in a spreadsheet then hit "randomize range" and got 16 completely random matchups. Of course, I couldn't resist a few tweaks so Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa is in the same bracket as Romero Britto's Mona Cat. I also put Lee Krasner up against Jackson Pollock in round 1. Other than that though, it was completely random. Apparently, Google is a willing accomplice in my playful matchups, as the random sort did put Lichtenstein against Monet allowing me to put different versions of water lilies head to head.

Here are my brackets for "Arts Madness"

After selecting all the artists/work for the matchups, I had to create the forms. I decided that it would help students get invested in the tournament if there were a prize for correctly predicting the outcome. I don't have time to have 550 students fill out brackets, so I made a simple Google form asking just for the student's full name, grade level, which they think will win and why. Since part of my goal is to get students critically analyzing works, I am rewarding the best arguments in favor of a particular artwork. At the end of the tournament, when I announce the winning art, I will look at the predictions students made. I will pick one winner from each grade level to get a custom printed t-shirt. The winners will be chosen based on who had the strongest explanation for why their predicted piece would win.

After setting the brackets, I made a form for the first round match ups. I decided it would be best for students to just vote on one matchup each week. I thought if I had every student weigh in on 16 matchups, it would become too cumbersome and too many would pick without giving it any real thought (sort of testing fatigue). I made 16 copies of the form and put different works in each copy. Then I made a QR code for each form so students can scan the QR code and weigh in on just one matchup then go about their day. Next week, I'll share the winners by displaying the bracket and have 8 forms for the round 2 matchups. Week 3 will be just four matchups, week 4 will be two matchups (our Final Four). Week five will be our championship and everyone in the school will vote on that final matchup. That will coincide perfectly so that week 6 (my final week of school) I can announce the winning art and give students their shirts at the awards ceremony we have at the end of every school year.

I'm super excited to start this new game and hopefully, it will get students hooked on evaluating and critiquing art.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weaving with Monotypes

I have been doing a lot of clay and other messy projects lately, so I thought what better than printmaking to get my tables clean at the end of the day. I started by teaching my first graders a little bit about suminagashi, the Japanese paper marbling technique. Suminagashi translates to floating ink and it can create wonderful, vibrant marbled papers. While this was a great inspiration for our process, it wasn't a technique I believed the average first grade student could master. I also took inspiration from Helen Frankenthaler's "soak and stain" method of abstract expressionism. For this project, students started by making monotypes. I sprayed all the tables, and students painted in the puddles, then they pressed their papers to the paint. Essentially they were using the tables like giant stamps. The result was wonderful prints that seemed somewhat marbled, and somewhat like color field paintings. Each student made three prints this past week. One print was made up ...

How to Make a Clay Maraca

My kindergarten students study Mexico as a part of their social studies curriculum. Early in the school year, we make pinch pots, and this video shows how we can build off the basic pinch pot project to make a maraca. It is a fun project that makes cross-curricular connections with both Social Studies and Music. Students learn about how a maraca produces sound, how to work with clay to prevent pieces from sticking together and they learn a bit of science (#STEAM) as we discuss what happens to clay and paper in the kiln. Students need to understand that clay will shrink by about 10% as it dries out but that the paper will burn causing smoke and that gasses will expand as they are heated. If the exterior is shrinking while gasses on the interior are trying to expand, it will cause the sculpture to blow up and that is why they need to poke a few holes in their maracas to allow smoke to vent out. Kindergarten students are able to handle about 90% of this project without much proble...

Do I Really Wanna Know

As my school year winds down, I try to take a little time to reflect on my year. I try to do this while things are still fresh. Things are so fresh in fact, I still have another week and a half left in school. While this time of year is crazy and so many kids are checked out, i thought it might be nice to get feedback from students on all of the changes i have made this year. Of course when I think of all the work I've put into those changes, the natural question becomes "do I really want to know students opinions?" The natural answer all of us are taught to say is yes, of course we want feedback from all stakeholders and students should have a say in their education. Of course that sounds good in theory, but in practice, it can be much harder. Realistically, it is hard not to take it personally when a kid says they don't like the system you set up. I wouldn't want to gather data as a show of valuing student opinions while they feel pressure to compliment me, so ...