Skip to main content

Modern Baby's Room






My wife and I are expecting our second baby in May, so I spent last week prepping the nursery during my spring break. As much as we loved the cold grays and blacks of the nursery from our first kid, we felt like we needed to do a little something to make it unique for baby number two. With our first, we were still getting used to the idea that cocktails would now mean Sprite and Grenadine so the directions were, "nothing childish" when I painted the nursery.



This time around I wanted to make things a little more colorful. I do like the neutral mural I made for our son, and honestly, I wasn't ready to give that up but I wanted to add a pop of color. The challenge was finding a way to add color while still fitting in with the rest of the design. I figured a colorful accent wall would be the way to go. I decided to keep with the hard-edged, geometric style but add color and soften it a bit by making the shapes almost as abstracted roses with geometric shapes forming spirals. It will be interesting to see if baby number 2 ends up with incredible visual spatial reasoning, or if she is totally disoriented. Either way, I figure there's nothing babies love more than post-painterly abstraction, right?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weaving with Monotypes

I have been doing a lot of clay and other messy projects lately, so I thought what better than printmaking to get my tables clean at the end of the day. I started by teaching my first graders a little bit about suminagashi, the Japanese paper marbling technique. Suminagashi translates to floating ink and it can create wonderful, vibrant marbled papers. While this was a great inspiration for our process, it wasn't a technique I believed the average first grade student could master. I also took inspiration from Helen Frankenthaler's "soak and stain" method of abstract expressionism. For this project, students started by making monotypes. I sprayed all the tables, and students painted in the puddles, then they pressed their papers to the paint. Essentially they were using the tables like giant stamps. The result was wonderful prints that seemed somewhat marbled, and somewhat like color field paintings. Each student made three prints this past week. One print was made up ...

Big Change for 2019

For quite a while, I have read about TAB and choice based art ed. There is a lot that appeals to me with the theory but I have never seen a structure that I felt would work for me in my classroom. In the weeks leading up to winter break, I started thinking more and more about gamifying the classroom. I decided to take the plunge and so now my 1st-5th grade students will have a range of choices but with clear structures and support to make it manageable. I decided to utilize Google slides as a means of managing the game. It is free and a slide deck can provide secure, personalized communication between me and the students. I started by setting up a template. My slide deck has the rules of the game, a slide to track badges they earn and then numerous slides of challenges students can complete in order to earn a badge. The beauty is that since slides can have links, my challenge slides can have the learning targets then a picture of a sample project that would hit the targets. I make the...

Who ARTed Season 1 Episode 1 Georges Seurat

For the first episode of the Podcast, I talked to my favorite LC Director, Tony Kresl about Georges Seurat and his masterpiece, Sunday on la Grande Jatte. Every episode features three parts: In Situ - where we discuss the art history and the context in which the piece was created In Gallery - where we look more closely at the piece sharing what we see, what connections we make In Studio - where we share our takeaways and tips for making better art Click to listen to Who ARTed - Georeges Seurat